Reports to: Director – New Product Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Works across a range of areas including but not limited to: gaining working knowledge of application equipment/developing expertise in setting up sample or production parts for new product applications with attention to quality; testing new products to make sure they comply with existing and new customer specifications; directly working with customers to manage new product opportunities; understanding the technical/physical properties of new products; developing a working knowledge of Nylok’s customer VOC process; interfacing with the plant on new product issues; overseeing new test protocols/report writing; supervising lab activity with the help of the Director NPD; assisting in scaling prototype equipment into production equipment; assessing pricing targets required to make acceptable profit for various parts on new products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Does research and/or testing to understand initial characteristics of identified polymer and/or polymer systems that are used to solve customer issues
- Contacts material and additive suppliers to identify best material options to test, and then covertly obtains samples for formulation work in lab
- Works in lab to convert obtained polymers and additives (formulates them) into the proper form for application and testing
- Works with outside equipment suppliers and internal experts to thoroughly understand the best equipment to source for applying new formulations onto parts at acceptable production speeds
- Researches and locates the best measurement equipment needed to test critical attributes of new formulations
- Applies new formulations onto parts, which are often fasteners, and then tests according to specifications
- Prepares concise test reports to demonstrate how materials were formulated, applied, and tested
- Learns how to safely operate all laboratory equipment.
- Works safely, observing all company safety policies, and actively participates in our safety program. Identifies and obtains all necessary PPE to perform the necessary lab work
- Keeps strict confidentiality on all formulation work being performed
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- 80/20 thinking – Demonstrate competence utilizing 80/20 thinking and the use of the Marmon toolbox resulting in continuous and measurable improvements to the business, with responsibility for continuous education for both self and your team.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Verbal Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Team Work – Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals;
- Initiative – Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Regularly required to stand, walk and sit for long periods of time.
- Occasionally required to lift in excess of 30 pounds
- Manufacturing environment; safety glasses & hearing protection are required in lab and on the production floor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering required.
- 2-5 years’ experience in the field.
- Strong technical background in chemical adhesives, sealants and lubricants as they relate to pre-applied fastener solutions is a plus.