Sr Staff Accountant
Reports to: Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Corporate Finance
This position will be responsible for supporting the Corporate Finance team so that we can provide timely financial information for internal Nylok and Marmon reporting. This will include month end closing and reporting responsibilities as defined by management as well as ongoing support of the accounts payable and accounts receivable functions. Focus should be given to understanding and helping ensure compliance with the Company’s financial policies and internal accounting controls. Working with management, this position also will be expected to help implement Marmon toolbox principles that are geared towards improving business processes and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- OPERATIONAL ACCOUNTING – Prepare and review for accuracy monthly journal entries and account reconciliations for the Unit’s general ledger accounts as assigned by the Controller. Work to ensure that the Unit meets internal and Corporate reporting deadlines through the proper sequencing of month end and related analytical work. Support compliance with required internal accounting controls in these areas and propose enhancements as identified. Support with budgeting and ad hoc analysis and data validation will be as needed.
- FINANCIAL REPORTING AND ANALYSIS – Prepare for review and submit various monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting requirements as defined by Management and Marmon in compliance with financial policies, procedures, stated deadlines and GAAP. Work with the Finance team to provide and interpret timely financial analysis that helps the business leaders understand their operations, the overall business and drives financial results. This may include the preparation, analysis and communication of related findings in regards to monthly financial statements, key performance indicators and actionable 80/20 data.
- ACCOUNTS PAYABLE – As a key contact in the Accounts Payable process, requirements here include the processing of vendor payments, including ACHs, EFTs and manual check runs. Coordination of compliance with the company’s expenditure authorization policy is required. Other duties here include vendor maintenance, review of expense reports for proper support and coordination of payable and payment issues with the remote Office Managers.
- ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE – Responsibilities in this area include the daily posting and reconciling of cash receipts, daily review and release of invoicing and customer maintenance. Ongoing communication with the Office Managers will be required on various customer invoicing, credit and receivable issues. Also required is the preparation and communication of the weekly receivable metrics to the team and follow-up on issues as appropriate.
- SPECIAL PROJECTS/OTHER – Complete special projects as determined by Finance management team. Although there are generally no restrictions, special projects will focus on simplification initiatives, USa projects and other applications of core Nylok toolbox principles. Understand project requirements and work with the team to complete projects accurately and timely while seeking feedback and guidance as needed.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Meets commitments.
- Team Work – Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Communication; Verbal and Written – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively in a professional manner.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; highly self-motivated; Results driven.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism – Follows through on commitments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years’ experience as a staff accountant in a manufacturing environment.
- High level of computer skills required, including excellent spreadsheet skills.
- ERP/business system skills required; IQMS experience a plus
- Must be professional with strong organizational and communication skills.