Galvanic Corrosion Protection
EXPANDING OPTIONS FOR FASTENING DISSIMILAR METALS
NYSHIELD® is effective in preventing galvanic corrosion between steel fasteners and the most extreme lightweight materials – which include both magnesium and carbon fiber.
NYSHIELD® is applied uniformly to the steel fastener surfaces that contact dissimilar materials, and shields/protects the least noble material. This product has minimal clamp load loss (compared to control but without
NYSHIELD®) while maintaining an exceptional chemical resistance and adheres well to most substrates.
NYSHIELD® protects steel fasteners from galvanic corrosion in high-risk material combinations:
- Carbon Fiber
- Chrome Plating
- Provides exceptional galvanic corrosion resistance (steel fasteners with lightweight materials)
- Provides general corrosion protection (passes 15 year test without corrosion)
- Coating Uniformity: typical thickness is 50-75 microns
- Does not affect functionality of HEX or TORX drives
- Low clamp load loss at elevated temperatures (125°C)
- Adjustable Coefficient of Friction (typically between 0.10– 0.16)
- Excellent adhesion, toughness and durability
- Exceptional chemical resistance
- US Patent Nos. 9,738,792, and 10,465,077, other patents pending. Also protected under TWI654265, CA2,972,984, MX 374,094, and KR 10-1935043, other patents pending.
- Corrosion Resistance (steel vs. carbon fiber, steel vs. magnesium) is exceptional after 15 year simulation exposure (GMW17026) (See download for results)
- Coefficient of Friction results are adjustable (typical range 0.10 – 0.16) (See download for results)
- Clamp Load Loss Test & Results: Comparable to control bolt without NYSHIELD® (See download for results)
- Tape Adhesion Test: 10 days @ 40°C in 100% RH chamber, cross hatch cut in coating/tape pull: no removal of coating (Per GMW14829) (See download for results)
- Chemical Resistance Tests: • 24 hour soak (engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, windshield washer fluid, vehicle cleaning agent, transit coating/protective wax, car shampoo, paintwork cleaning product) • 2 hour soak (E10 fuel, E85 fuel, diesel fuel, Windex, Rain-X, 2-in-1 glass cleaner, remover for transit coating, washer fluid) • 10 minute soak (tar and road oil cleaner, chrome cleaner) • Results: no visual change in coating appearance: no noticeable softening of coating (See download for results)
- Durability: Good corrosion resistance after coated fastener is subjected to drop test
(Per RM 2/13/18)